InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Scent of His Woman

The Scent of His Woman - Maggie Pritchard If you are a reader willing to overlook many grammatical errors in a (currently) free book, continue on reading this review. Otherwise, you may want to save yourself the trouble and stop now.

Lexie is part of a group protesting a potential commercial development in a U.K. village. One night, she gathers with the group at a bar to discuss plans for a demonstration. A group of construction workers from the project walks in, and Lexie is immediately attracted to one of them. When he approaches her as she's applying her Chapstick, he takes it out of her hand and tells her, "Now that is not what I will want to taste when I kiss you." My thought: "Now that is one bold construction worker!"

*** Early plot spoilers below ***

When Lexie leaves the bar, Geth follows her out. He tells her she'll be coming home with him, and she can't resist. A good time is had by all, but perhaps Lexie should have mentioned ahead of time that at age 34, she was still a virgin (well, not anymore!), because in the morning, she is embarrassed by her "wanton" actions, and she flees.

Six days later, her protest group nominates her as their speaker at a meeting with the developers. In walks Geth, and well, well, well... He's not a construction worker after all. He's the millionaire owner of the construction company. Lexie is humiliated anew, convinced Geth used her to get information to gain the upper hand on the protestors, and Geth is irritated that a woman had the nerve to walk out on him. The inevitable confrontations and pushing/pulling ensue.

*** End spoilers ***

Constant grammatical errors, run-on sentences, and some dropped words throughout slowed down and marred an otherwise decent story. One typical example of a sentence, shown here exactly as written in the book: "As he ground out the words Geth wondered again at his own reaction, it was mad, even he could see that, but all of a sudden that this exasperating female should not get the better of him seemed the only consideration. "

The characters were the standard stuff of romance (macho and arrogant for him, plucky and feisty for her). I liked Lexie well enough, but Geth's aggressiveness was over the top, even for this genre. His aggressiveness occasionally crossed the line into outright scary behavior. This was a little strange because the author made the effort to depict him as sympathetic and likable as she revealed his backstory. Unfortunately, that man was not always recognizable as the Geth we see interacting with Lexie.

It's so disappointing when a book with the potential for a decent story is nearly ruined by so many grammatical errors. For that reason, I cannot recommend it.