InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Troop

The Troop - Nick Cutter This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

3.5 stars

The Troop is not for the squeamish. In fact, much of it is downright disgusting. If you decide to read this book, prepare yourself for graphic, merciless descriptions of oozing sores, bloody wounds, and worms squirming into (and out of) a variety of orifices. In case you’re wondering, yes, I’m recommending this book. I do have to mention upfront several instances of animal torture. It starts off somewhat mildly with the burning of ants, but it gets much, much worse as it moves on to a mouse, a turtle, a kitten, and a chimpanzee. The scenes are written quite gleefully, and in hindsight, I don’t know why I didn’t skip over them. I had to keep reminding myself, “This is fiction,” but it was still awful to read.

In The Troop, a group of five Boy Scouts and their Scoutmaster set out for what should be an uneventful weekend of camping on a deserted island. It soon becomes very eventful when a skeletal, obviously sick man lands on the island. Tim, the Scoutmaster, is a doctor, but he has never seen an illness like the one with which this man is inflicted. His healing instincts take over, and he enlists the help of one of the boys to perform what he hopes is lifesaving surgery on the man. Unfortunately, Tim doesn’t take into account how contagious this mysterious disease may be, and it begins to spread among the members of the troop. We learn about the origin of the disease before the characters do, as occasional present-day interviews and news articles are sprinkled throughout the story.

The boys fit a little too easily into convenient cliches: the bully, the fat kid, the angry kid, the peacemaker, and the psychopath. Their interactions help to hammer these cliches home, and they’re marked by heavy doses of bullying and fighting. Still, we care about the ones we are “supposed” to care about, and we’re suitably horrified by the psychopath (who, incidentally, is responsible for some, but not all, of the animal torture.)

I continually thought of Stephen King as I read this story, and I wasn’t surprised to learn afterwards that the author is a big fan. Unlike with King’s books, however, I was never scared, but I was horrified, disgusted, repulsed, and that works just fine for me, too.

Note: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.