InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

No Angel

No Angel - Helen Keeble This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

No Angel does not take itself very seriously, and as a result, neither did I. But that does not mean that I didn’t enjoy it, and I found myself succumbing to the silly humor, even as the non-stop twists continued to pile up. Rafael Angelos is a simple guy in a unique position – he’s the only male student in a boarding school for girls. As soon as he sets foot on campus, the girls are pounding down his door (literally) to get his attention. But Rafael wants the beautiful, angelic Faith, one of the few girls not throwing herself at him. Faith also happens to be the daughter of the stern headmistress, and she makes it clear she wants Rafael to stay away from Faith.

Rafael soon learns that his new school is filled with more than just pretty, pampered girls; evil demons are afoot here, and Rafael, who quickly learns that he’s an angel, is meant to stop them. He’s alternately aided and hindered in his mission by the three main female characters in the story: Faith, Krystal, and Michaela. Despite the initial spark between Rafael and Krystal, that relationship was the most confusing, as well as the least interesting. His interactions with the somewhat geeky Krystal and the bad girl, Michaela, were much more enjoyable.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is who they seem. You can take just about every character, flip their perceived personality around 180 degrees, and there you have that character’s actual identity. I’ll admit that the twists did keep me surprised, but the constant use of red herrings became somewhat tiresome. But still, the humor and the relatively light-hearted take on good versus evil, and angels versus demons kept this story enjoyable throughout.

Note: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.