InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The 100 (The 100 Series)

The 100 - Kass Morgan This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

The 100 was a pretty big disappointment. I'm all for great cliff-hangers that leave you desperate for the next book, but this felt like a commercial or a movie trailer. In other words, not a whole hell of a lot happened. Yes, it's the first in a series, but there was a lot of build-up with very little payoff. The "cliff-hanger" ending was a huge, "Um, was that really supposed to be shocking?" moment.

But this wasn't the story's only problem. The decision to focus on the POV's of four characters means that we barely skim the surface of any of them. And if we can't get to know them, it's hard to care about any of them. Their personalities were distinctive enough, but with names like Glass, Wells, Clarke, and Bellamy, I had to spend a bit of time trying to figure out who was who as the POV constantly shifted.

I do intend to read the next book in this series. I'm hoping that there will be fewer POV's, but I probably won't get my wish there. I also plan to check out the upcoming series on the CW. I expect that it will be more focused on the survival aspect on Earth (which was the main reason why I wanted to read this book, but this aspect was severely shortchanged) and less on the uninteresting backstories of the characters.

Note - I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.