InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

Two Boys Kissing

Two Boys Kissing - David Levithan This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

Maybe I was expecting too much from Two Boys Kissing. I specifically chose to read this during Banned Books Week, even though I have not heard news (yet) of Two Boys Kissing being banned. But Levithan has had books challenged or banned in the past, and I assume that with this cover and title, the censorship police will soon be out in full force. Based on my experience with Leivthan's wonderful Every Day, I expected to come here raving about the beauty of Two Boys Kissing. I expected this to be a book that had the potential to change how people view sexuality. Instead, what I got was a srtory with a tone that seemed to scream, "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT BOOK," without the goods to back it up.

The novel switches focus between several gay teens: some out, some not, some in relationships, some not. I think the intention was to demonstrate the unique struggles each face, depending on the differing circumstances, but the result was that the individual stories were watered down. The one exception to this was Cooper, who inadvertently outed himself to his parents and was met with rage and disgust. But his story only stood out because the people around were so awful that it was impossible to ignore.

As mentioned in the synopsis, the story is narrated by a "Greek chorus" of gay men who died in the early days of AIDS. In those not-too-long ago days, not only was AIDS a virtual death sentence, but being outed as gay had its own dangers. Things have obviously improved dramatically since then, but there is still a long way to go. The Greek chorus highlighted the changes over the past few decades and expressed many emotions directed at the main characters, but the lack of subtlety left me unmoved. Perhaps this will resonate more with younger readers who don't remember the bad ol' days, but I felt the technique was overwrought and somewhat manipulative.

Earlier this year, two movies I hadn't seen in a long time aired on TV. One was In & Out, starring Kevin Kline and released in 1997, and the other was The Birdcage, starring Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, and Gene Hackman, released in 1996. Both are comedies and both feature gay characters portrayed in comedic, goofball settings. I saw both of them at the time they were released, and while it was too long ago to remember my specific reactions, I certainly don't recall being offended, and I'm sure I laughed right along with it. (Haha! Look at the funny, flamboyant gay men!) But when I saw them both again recently, I was struck by a couple of things: 1) I don't think these movies could or would or should be made today, and 2) I don't remember when being gay automatically made someone a subject of widespread ridicule and derision, although these films certainly indicated this was the case. Yes, these were both comedies, and certainly there was exaggeration for the sake of humor, but I'm also sure that they at least somewhat realistically portrayed society's response to homosexuality at the time. The effect on me of watching these two films again was much more powerful than anything I felt while reading Two Boys Kissing.