InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

All Our Yesterdays

All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill This review and others are posted at Inspiring Insomnia.

All Our Yesterdays is a wonderfully intelligent time-travel story. The time travel concepts are complex, but manage to not be (too) confusing. When All Our Yesterdays begins, Em and Finn are locked up in adjacent cells for reasons unknown. Both are subjected to torture and beatings, and it is clear that this isn't a run-of-the-mill prison. Two men, referred to by Em as "the doctor" and "the director" are in charge, and both are vicious. Em and Finn, with the help of a guard, stage a very unusual prison break - not just out of the prison, but through time, into the past. They travel to the past not just to escape, but to prevent a catastrophic series of events that will throw the country into chaos.

All Our Yesterdays is told in dual times and from dual perspectives. While the brave, resourceful Em narrates in the present, rich, spoiled Marina narrates four years in the past. The two girls share a connection that seemed obvious very early on, although it's revealed in a matter-of-fact way a bit later. Marina's world is one of luxury, and her biggest concern is getting her best friend, James, to fall in love with her.

James and Finn are great counterpoints. Marina's friendship with James is sweet, but seems a bit indicative of her immaturity. Em and Finn, meanwhile, have a relationship that's bound by mutual trust. Not surprising, since their lives are constantly at risk.

While reading All Our Yesterdays, I couldn't help thinking forward to the end. I was enjoying the story so much, and I dreaded an ending that would be falsely optimistic. I think that would have destroyed the book for me. In my mind, I thought I had the perfect ending, but what Cristin Terrill came up with was BEYOND perfect.

Note - I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.