InspiringInsomnia

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Gathering (Darkness Rising, Book 1)

The Gathering - Kelley Armstrong This review and others are posted at Read, Rinse, Repeat.

The Gathering is a fun little paranormal novel, set on a tiny island in Canada. The setting, in fact, was one of my favorite parts of the story. It was so richly drawn, I found myself wishing I could visit. We also get a little bit of Native American lore, an interesting topic that I hope is explored more in the sequel. I wish the same attention had been paid to Maya, a very bland character, despite her...unusual abilities. Rafe and Daniel, as the potential love interest and best friend, respectively, fare better in the personality department than Maya. Adults were mostly absent, and the kids ruled the show. Several of them, particularly the girls, were not very developed, and I had a difficult time telling them apart. Some were mean, some were nice, and that was about all I took away.

There are mysteries to be solved, primarily the suspicious nature of Maya's best friend, Selena's, suspicious drowning death. The question of Maya's biological parents and a possible conspiracy involving unethical science experiments kept Maya busy for much of the story.

There wasn't a lot in The Gathering to get worked up about, in either a positive or negative way. I am curious enough to want to read the sequel, but I'm hoping that Maya shows some sparks of personality. A succession of mysteries is all well and good, but I need a few answers along the way to keep me reading.