InspiringInsomnia

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden)

The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa This review and others are posted at Read, Rinse, Repeat.

4.5 stars

If you haven't yet read the first book in the Blood of Eden series, The Immortal Rules, you can get by with just this second book, The Eternity Cure. But why would you want to??? The Immortal Rules was freakin' amazing. Events from the first book are summarized in the first couple of chapters here, so you won't feel lost. But again, you will be missing out on an awesome book!

I've made no secret of the fact that Julie Kagawa is one of my favorite authors. (And this was even before I won a personalized copy of this book, along with Julie's hand-made figurine of Allie.) :) With every book, I'm amazed at what this woman can do. You would never know that the same person wrote The Iron Fey and The Blood of Eden series, and yet, she always comes up with new ways to captivate and thrill readers.

The story took a while to get going, in part due to the recapping of events from The Immortal Rules. But when it got going, it never stopped. An action by another character sets Allie in a race against time, and humans and vampires are both in danger. Allie's got her posse with her, and one took me by surprise: Jackal. Jackal, who was a deliciously nasty guy in the last book, is somewhat de-fanged (ahem) here. I don't have a younger brother, but if I did, I imagine he might be a bit like Jackal – bratty and always trying to get under my skin. But he's certainly a lot of fun to have around, and I loved Jackal's conversations with Allie about the nature of being a vampire. Before too long, I found myself liking Jackal, but I think I preferred hating him.

There's got to be a little romance, even in the midst of all the death and mayhem, right? We've got it - in the form of one of my favorite fictional couples, Allie and Zeke. How can you not love this guy? He's in love with a girl who is so much more physically powerful than him, but he still does everything he can to protect her. And somehow, despite his human frailty, he never seems weak. I also loved how the presence of Zeke and Jackal provided a nice change to some of the internal personal dynamics with the bickering between the two. These two could go on a comedy tour together, and I'd pay to see it. Their banter provides a welcome lift to the darker, more frightening aspects.

In case you're wondering, the fantastic Kanin, Allie's sorta-father figure, is here, too. I can never get enough of him. And no matter what terrible things are thrown in Allie's path, (like the ending of this book - whaaaat??? NOOOO!) she remains as bad-ass as ever.

Note - I received an ARC of this book from the publisher for review.