InspiringInsomnia

- Rage
- Despair
- Terror
- Hopelessness

The ending is lighter, relatively speaking, but you must go through hell with Angie to get there.

When I was around 7 or 8, I read a People magazine story about Patty Hearst. It was awful and scary, and I remember asking my mother, "What is rape?" and her reply was an uncomfortable laugh. She didn't answer my question, so I knew it had to be terrible.

Since then, there have been other stories of girls and young women kidnapped, raped, and held captive. The most notable recent cases, of course, are Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard. We know these women's names because they eventually escaped or were rescued, but I wonder how many of the girls who disappear every year are not dead, but are alive and captive in some unimaginably horrible dungeon. Elizabeth and Jaycee are undoubtedly grateful to be alive today, but I'm sure there were moments during their captivity when they wondered if death would be preferable.

Pretty Girl-13 hooked me from the start. A 16 year-old girl wanders out of the woods and finds her way home. In her mind, she is still 13, the age at which she was kidnapped. The intervening years are a blank. Angie's parents react to her miraculous return very differently; her mother smothers her with love, but her father, wracked with guilt over his perceived failure to protect his little girl, can barely make eye contact with her. I wanted to throttle him.

Now, the synopsis doesn't mention the following aspect of Angie's psychological condition, but it's made apparent early on, and I don't consider it a spoiler. But if you are sensitive to any kind of spoiler, you may want to stop reading now...

Angie's parents wisely send her to therapy where it's quickly determined that she's suffering from dissociative identity disorder (DID) aka multiple personality disorder. These personalities allowed Angie to survive the trauma of her captivity and rape, but she's left feeling like just one small piece of a person, and her therapist recommends a radical procedure to eradicate the other personalities.

The story focuses very heavily on DID, and I have no idea how much of what I read was fact versus fiction. I was hoping for some clarification in the acknowledgements, but it was not included in the e-version of the ARC that I read. (Hopefully it will be included in the finished version.) It's a fascinating subject, but Angie's recovery seemed extraordinarily quick considering the trauma she suffered, and this is where a note from the author would have helped.

There's a big surprise at the end that was telegraphed early on, but I didn't put all of the pieces together. I suspect readers will react very differently to it. After recovering from my initial shock, I found Angie's reaction to the situation increasingly difficult to believe. Overall, however, Liz Coley tackled this book and its unpleasant subject matter with compassion and tenderness, and I give credit to any book that makes me such strong emotions as Pretty Girl-13 did.

Final note - this book may be very upsetting to victims of sexual abuse, and in particular, childhood sexual abuse. While the rape and molestation depictions are not explicit, they are still quite awful to read.