InspiringInsomnia

Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

Asunder (Incarnate)

Asunder - Jodi Meadows Review posted at: Read, Rinse, Repeat

“We were in this together now. Neither of us were alone. Asunder.”

Asunder picks up shortly after the events of Templedark which destroyed dozens of souls and devastated the remaining citizens of Heart. Those who were suspicious of Ana before Templedark are even less inclined to welcome her now. Ana craves acceptance, despite her “nosoul” status. Fortunately, she still has Sam by her side, and he repeatedly demonstrates his willingness to put himself on the line for Ana.

I enjoyed the romance between Ana and Sam much more in Asunder. In Incarnate, I frequently thought about the 5,000 year age difference, but perhaps because I am now used to them as a couple, I did not focus on it much. That is until, for the first time, Heart residents bring up the elephant in the room that did not seem to bother them in Incarnate. However, the concern about the age difference was quickly pushed aside and was not mentioned again.

Something that never occurred to me during Incarnate was the realization that seemingly everyone wished for immortality. I'm not sure what my decision would be if offered the choice, but even though the people in the Incarnate series are living each life as a different-looking person, with different life experiences, don't things just get...old after a while? After all, over thousands of years, you are surrounded by the same people (albeit in different bodies) during each lifetime. Your memories are the same, and it would seem that not much changes over the lifetimes. That seems like it might get boring, but I suppose they find this preferable to the idea that the alternative to reincarnation is “nothingness.” Side note - with all of these long-standing relationships, there are surprisingly few grudges.

Jodi Meadows brings a lot to the table: well-written action scenes, a sweet romance, conspiracy theories, and a heart-breaking sacrifice. One of my problems with Incarnate was that while we were frequently told Ana was in danger in Heart, I never really felt that; for the most part, she was welcomed. In Asunder, however, I did have the sense that Ana's safety, and perhaps her life, could be ripped apart at any moment. This added an element of tension and danger that was missing from Incarnate.

The book ends with quite a cliffhanger, and I can't wait to see where Ana's journey takes her next.