InspiringInsomnia

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)

The Iron Queen - Julie Kagawa I loved The Iron King, I was less enthused with The Iron Daughter, and now the magic is back with The Iron Queen. All of Meghan's irritating angst over Ash (he loves me, he loves me not, lather, rinse, repeat) from the previous book is finally gone. They've settled into a "normal" relationship, or as normal as one can be in Faery.

Meghan has grown up over the the course of the three books, and the former self-conscious teenager is now a warrior, fighting alongside Ash and Puck. We get to see a bit more of Leanansidhe, one of my favorite characters, and Grimalkin, of course. (How great would it be to get a story from Grims POV?) Puck, unfortunately, has become increasingly one-dimensional, apparently here to serve only as comic relief in the form of quips and one-liners. I suppose it's natural that he has taken a back seat to Ash, but I miss the Puck from the first novel.

We have all of Julie Kagawa's trademark depictions of the fantastical Faery environment, action, and a great battle scene. This book does have a darker tone than the others as a heavy sense of sadness and foreboding hangs over much of it. The ending of the book is heartbreaking as Meghan makes a difficult choice between her duty and her heart. I am anxious to read The Iron Knight to see how her choice plays out.