InspiringInsomnia

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

Gates of Paradise, The (Blue Bloods Novel)

Gates of Paradise - Melissa  de la Cruz "Will you choose love over all?" That is the answer Schuyler must determine in Gates of Paradise.

For those of us who have followed the Blue Bloods from the beginning, Gates of Paradise gives proper send-offs to Schuyler, Jack, Mimi, Bliss, Lawson et al. The ending may have been a bit too pat, but that's to be expected from a majority of YA series. I read a lot of YA, and while Blue Bloods is not among my favorite series, it possessed imaginative writing, some good characters, and provided a fine diversion when I needed it.

Gates of Paradise was among the best of the series and was a good note on which to end. Lingering questions were answered, and some surprising, albeit soap-opera-ish, mysteries were sprung. A big, final battle brought some excitement, but felt a bit too short. Best of all, my favorite character, Mimi, was given a chance to shine in this story. POV switched frequently, a technique that worked sometimes, but just felt too abrupt and awkward at others. Overall, however, Gates of Paradise is a worthy end to Blue Bloods.