InspiringInsomnia

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden)

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa "The Immortal Rules" is one of the best books I've read in quite some time. It's certainly among the best vampire novels I've read, and I've read quite a few.

Allie lives in a walled-in dystopian society, ruled by vampires. Some humans are used by vampires to provide a regular blood supply to their masters. Other humans, like Allie, live on the fringes, scavenging for food, and struggling every day to survive. Normal vampires are not the only concern; there is also a vicious breed known as rabids who lack the mental capacity of vampires and who exist only to rip humans apart for food. When Allie is attacked by a gang of rabids and nearly killed, she is rescued by a vampire named Kanin who gives her a choice: die from her wounds or allow him to turn her. Allie's survival instincts force her to choose the latter.

As Allie's sire, Kanin trains her to use her new vampire skills and teaches her how to survive in her new existence. Soon, though, an old enemy of Kanin's surfaces and captures him, and Allie is forced to set out on her own, in a world that she had never seen during her former mortal life. She meets up with a band of humans who accept her into their group, not knowing that she is a vampire. Outside the walls of Allie's old home, murderous humans are just as dangerous as the rabids. She struggles to protect her new group of friends, and in particular, kind-hearted Zeke, while desperately trying to protect her secret.

Allie is a fabulous young heroine - brave, resourceful, and determined to hang onto whatever shred of humanity may still exist in her. She's also a fearless and vicious killer of her enemies. The story is incredibly exciting, and the sense of danger never lets up. The author is unafraid of depicting scenes of graphic violence, but it's a critical and necessary element to the story. This is clearly set up as the beginning of a series. I've been on Julie Kagawa's website, and I see no mention of a sequel. I can only hope she's hard at work on it now.

I'm sure it's tiresome for readers and authors alike to compare everything to "The Hunger Games," but I think it's safe to say that if you enjoyed that story, you will enjoy this one, as well.