InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain

The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain - Cliff Rathburn, Charlie Adlard, Robert Kirkman *** NOTE: This review contains major spoilers from Volume 8***

After Rick's family was ripped apart in the attack on the prison in volume 8, he and Carl set out alone. The other few survivors have scattered in other directions, and so father and son must cope on their own. They hunker down in an abandoned house in (relative) safety. Carl struggles with a young boy's need and desire to be protected and his anger at his father for failing to keep the family safe. He is also taking his first steps to independence and self-reliance, as Rick is determined to make sure that Carl is not left helpless should anything happen to Rick. Rick is also trying to hold himself together for Carl's sake, but Kirkman's clever use of a voice on the other end of a telephone plainly shows us the depths of his grief and loneliness.

I wondered how long it would take to introduce new survivors following the prison massacre. Answer: not very. We meet a new group near the end of "Here We Remain." This group seems to be more knowledgeable than others we've encountered so far, including one who claims to know the origins of the zombie outbreak. But for now, he's not telling. Rick must make a difficult decision: should he trust these strangers and place his and Carl's lives in their hands? Or would they be better off on their own? Either decision is sure to have far-reaching repercussions.