InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare - Ella Monroe This review and others are posted at Read, Rinse, Repeat.

One of the things I (and most people) love about books is the ability to escape into a world one would never experience otherwise. In the case of Truth or Dare, that world is the upper echelon of the DC political elite. What I expected was high-stakes political bargaining, conspiracies, and power plays. What I got was not much different than the afternoon soap opera. There were lots of Big Issues: date rape, drugs, eating disorders, classism, infidelity, stalking, and a stabbing. And that's just the kids! Their power-hungry DC parents are just as bad. But the pièce de résistance is none other than...a secret baby. Didn't I tell you it's like a soap opera? With so much piled on, each individual tragedy or shock loses its impact, and I ended up yawning my way through this book.

The characters are split into two distinct groups: the good guys and the bad guys. It's hard to get too emotionally invested in characters who lack distinction and who are, ultimately, forgettable.

Truth or Dare features a BIG LESSON, and in case it's missed, it is spelled out for us.: "A real relationship was built on so much more than sex. At the core was genuine friendship. And that meant trusting and talking and having patience and forgiveness." OK, I can get on board with this. I just wish I didn't have to read such petty melodrama to get there.

Note - I received an ARC of this book from the publisher for review.