InspiringInsomnia

Elizabeth Wein
Grave Mercy
Robin LaFevers

Gone Girl

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Nick and Amy look perfect on the outside...married 5 years, he's handsome, and she's pretty and wealthy. But scratch beneath the surface, and things aren't as rosy as they appear. When Amy disappears on their wedding anniversary, their "perfect marriage" beings to reveal itself as anything but, and Nick's unusual behavior makes him a suspect. The cops quickly zero in on Nick, but he has the support of Amy's loving parents (for now).

"Gone Girl" is narrated by Nick, beginning right after Amy's disappearance. It alternates with entries from Amy's diary, written prior to her disappearance, detailing a marriage in deterioration. Amy writes, "I don't feel like Nick's wife. I don't feel like a person at all...I feel like I could disappear."

The book is divided into three sections. By the end of the first, I was getting a bit antsy over the continuing police investigation. However, the opening sentences of the second section threw me for a loop and grabbed back my waning attention and held it until the end of the story.

A quick note - I got a kick out of the Ellen Abbott character, clearly modeled on Nancy Grace. I could hear Nancy's righteous twang in my head as I read Ellen's dialogue.